[triadtechtalk] Re: (No To: triadtechtalk@freelists.org

  • From: "cabehogan" <cabehogan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 16:49:23 -0500

> > Win98   version 4.10.0.1998   471,040   5/11/1998
> > Win98_33.cab
> > Win98   version 4.10.0.2222   471,040   4/23/1999
> > Win98_31.cab

> > So now my question is, since 5/11/1998 is my
present
> > dll file, should
> > I try to run down the 4/23/1999 one and replace
mine?

> As a general rule, if Microsoft releases a new
version of a DLL, and lists
> it as being appropriate for your OS, and sets it out
for _general_ use, then
> updating is often a good idea. However, here's what I
noticed about what you
> have above.

> The one you are using now is the original for Win98,
and the new one is
> Win98SE. The difference between these two OS is
minimal, except specific
> updates and Internet Connection Sharing. Given that
these two files are
> exactly the same size, I'll lay long odds that they
are exactly the same
> file.

> Since Microsoft does not appear to have a
kernel32.dll update for Win98, I
> wouldn't recommend installing the new one without
more reason than this.

Not thinking in technical terms, I had an idea in the
back of my mind that the
99 file was for a newer version/type of Win98, which
brought on my original
question!  So since my non-techical suspicion seems to
have been correct,
I shall proceed to throw the baby out with the bath
water, and just forget
about it!  And I have enough daily e-mail coming in
from different advisors
that would alert me to any update of critical files,
plus I use Windows Update
regularly as well as many other checks and balances
that are recommended
by Microsoft and others!  Thanks for the input and
advice!

.......clarence.......

www.freelists.org/webpage/triadtechtalk

//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/lsg2.cgi