[tor] Re: Fwd: Re: [tor-talk] How to manage 100 Tor bridges?

  • From: Griffin Boyce <griffinboyce@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: torservers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 21:41:36 -0500

My experience with public bridges is that they don't wind up using much
bandwidth. This is not a bad thing, but of course your mileage may vary
depending on the needs of the people/orgs you distribute them to.

~Griffin

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 11:33 AM, Andrew Lewis <andrew@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Why not something like rackspacecloud or Amazon? Bridges could be stood up
> and down easily. And IP addresses are just a click away, the downside is
> that lots of traffic might get expensive fast.
>
> If you use CentOS, there is also Satellite, which is less of framework like
> Puppet(not that it's bad) and more of a tool that can be set up rather
> easily. Although Puppet gives your more flexibility on OS type.
>
> Either way I'd be willing to help.
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew
> On Mar 1, 2011, at 10:24 AM, Moritz Bartl wrote:
>
> > Volunteers?
> >
> > -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> > Betreff: Re: [tor-talk] How to manage 100 Tor bridges?
> > Datum: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 23:48:07 +0100
> > Von: André Kelpe
> > An: tor-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >
> > Hi Moritz,
> >
> > for deploying and maintaining a big number of boxes/services, you
> > should look into puppet [0] or chef [1].
> >
> > [0] http://www.puppetlabs.com/
> > [1] http://www.opscode.com/chef/
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > -- André
> >
> > 2011/2/28 Moritz Bartl <moritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> We are currently looking into setting up a large number of stable Tor
> >> bridges to be distributed privately through various organizations. I can
> >> use your input on
> >>
> >> - how to acquire non-consecutive IPs
> >> - how to install and maintain a large number of installations
> >> - how to keep track of installations/distribution
> >>
> >> It is very unlikely that any single ISP is able to offer more than maybe
> >> ten IPs from different subnets. At the moment I think we need to get a
> >> number of VPS and shell accounts at various providers, and ask if they
> >> can supply some non-consecutive IPs first.
> >>
> >> See https://www.torservers.net/wiki/hoster/bridges
> >>
> >> Your input is very welcome,
> >> --
> >> Moritz Bartl
> >> https://www.torservers.net/

Be the change you want to see in the world.
~Mahatma Gandhi

PGP Key etc: https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/User:Fontaine