[tor] Re: Fwd: Re: [tor-talk] How to manage 100 Tor bridges?

  • From: Michael Burns <maburns@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: torservers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 12:27:05 -0800

> On 03/05/2011 02:50 PM, Moritz Bartl wrote:
> The most important benefit I see is that you can easily switch IP with a few
> mouseclicks, and you have a LOT of IP ranges to choose from.

Doing that by hand is going to be tedious. And tracking when Tor hangs
and needs to be restarted becomes a guessing game.

For actually managing 100 tor servers (even with the relatively little
admin'ing needed), having an automated system still seems more
prudent, to ensure smooth running. And at that point, you're back to a
(simple) Puppet script and some Python for Amazon's API to automate
deployment. And taking the automation route, rotating through
different IP blocks, cycling VMs after hitting a bandwidth quota, etc,
are all easily achieved, without having to monitor a website and track
anything.

I'm happy to offer my services as a FOSS-contributor and (employed) sysadmin.

--
Michael Burns * http://unemployable.me