[torontocbm] Re: Hard Drive Solution

  • From: James Alexander <james.m.alexander@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: torontocbm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2011 14:02:37 -0500

Hi Derek,

My first forays are not as massive as some of the current devices but what people whould've used back in the 80's, a 1581 and an 8050 with buscard 2. Of the current commodore upgrades I'm using a pair of uIEC's one SD and one is the now discontinued CF card version. What I like about the uIEC's is they use commonly available SD cards so its effectively infinite storage on a commodore. Also useable transferring files to and from other computers is a big plus but this use will vary among users. Best feature for some is its compatible with both D64 / D81 disk images or having the files out in the open if you will. Jiffydos compatibility is a big plus. The others I haven't yet tried so I won't comment on them aside from the benefit that we all have choices of which we could use.

On 06/12/2011 6:27 PM, Derek Dresser wrote:
Hello everyone, I thought I would try to start a discussion about Hard
Drive/mass storage solutions for the Commodore line of computers. 20 years ago
we had few choices, there was the Lt. Col. or the CMD hard drives but not much
else.

Today we have lots of options, I would like to hear what others think is the
best solution and why. I have recently purchased my first one but hope to add
another choice in the future.

Let me start off with a list of the options with a few comments - feel free to
and any that I miss:

64 IDE http://www.ide64.org/ - one of the first mass storage solutions using
inexpensive IDE devices along with CF reader as well. However it ties up the
cartridge port and therefore is restrictive with software compatibility.

1541 Ultimate 2 http://www.1541ultimate.net/ - this is the one I believe is the
clear winner why? Full 1541 emulation including REU and cartridge emulation as
well all in one small package

64 HDD http://www.64hdd.com/index_en.html - this was my favorite for a long
while since it used the PC for all the grunt work. However the software costs
are too high in opinion however costing more then stand alone hardware readers.

uIEC/SD http://www.go4retro.com/category/hw/ - this one from Jim Brain is the
one I currently have.  - this list could include any of the other CF/SD card
readers

CMD HD if the ever come back on the market. - this one was the holy grail for
many years however I wonder if there is still a need for this one with the
newer solid state options that are available.

-Others??

My bias is a solution that takes up little space, is easy to use and is
compatible with the widest range of software while requiring the least amount
of modifications to the computer.

Well there it is my first big post to this list I hope it opens up some lively
debate.

Derek