[torontocbm] Re: File copier question

  • From: James Alexander <james.m.alexander@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: torontocbm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 10:56:43 -0500

Hi Jim,

I too would be willing to participate since I'm one who's looking for a usable file copier too. Well as soon as I get the bootloader in my uIEC that is. Mine was one from WOC which needs the new bootloader soon as I can get into toronto to meet up with Rob that is.

Jim Brain wrote:
Robin Harbron wrote:
Leif Bloomquist wrote:
Have you tried the JiffyDOS built-in file copier? I would be interested in knowing if it works with the uIEC (Jim might be too.) It's very irritating to use but at least it's there, and would use JiffyDOS speeds.
The JiffyDOS file copier works great with uIEC; I use it frequently. It of course requires the computer you're using to have JiffyDOS installed (I haven't been following this thread closely enough to know if James has JDOS), and it's very slow unless the other drive also has JDOS.

I don't find it *too* irritating to use, but it certainly isn't overly user-friendly:

1. Set the destination drive with the @X command. To set the destination to drive 9: @X9
2.  Use CTRL-D to cycle to the source drive.
3.  Load the source directory:  /$
4.  LIST the directory
5. Mark the files you want to copy with CTRL-W or use CTRL-A to mark them all.
6.  RUN and the copying will begin.

Even with JDOS on the drives it's kind of slow, but at least it's there and it works.

Robin.
I'd really like to get fcopy to work, as it is very user friendly, but I need someone with some ASM skills and a bit of time to help me debug. I can set uIEC to respond with the correct magic memory values for fcopy to believe uIEC is a CMD HD, but a directory listing for selecting files fails, and I do not know why.

Robin, would you be willing to help, if I gave you a special firmware to try?

Jim