[tokyoprogressive] TokyoProgressive's CP News 168: Japan Indymedia in the UK, GM food, Israel and Palestine.....

  • From: tokyoprogressive@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tokyoprogressive@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 09:02:31 +0900

__/__/__/__/__/__/__/__/_/__/__/__/__/__/
    TokyoProgressive's ChocoPaul News
        Issue #168 June 19 2003

        http://tokyoprogressive.org

Mailing List Subscribe
メーリングリストに参加する
//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/list?list_id=tokyoprogressive
_/__/__/__/__/__/__/__/_/__/__/__/

Note:  ChocoPaul sounds like a popular chocolate candy known
as ChocoBalls.  This suggestion was made by Sadako-san, and
answers the question, "Why ChocoPaul News?"

               REGULAR FEATURES

Latest stories all here
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/index.php

This week's stories (after 1-2 weeks, come here as new stories replace
these):
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/topblog.php?id=D20030618

このサイトのどの記事にもコメントできます /
Feel free to comment on any story

または/Or

フォラム(BBS)/Discussion Forum
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/forum/forum.php?which=mainforum

Main story index
東京プログレッシブのニュース
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/tpindexx.php

Reader story index
あなたからのニュース
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/rmindex.php

Creative Works
詩と歌を読む。。。
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/poetryblog.php

Self publishing
あなたがリポータ
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/selfpublishing.html

Community
コミュニティ (Chibi, Paul, hosting....)
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/communityblog.php

Topic and  activist links
リンク集
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/link2.html

Featured individuals: Wakana Yokota,Ken Masuoka, Akubi, Richard Wilcox......
(left side of page/左)
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/index.php

Alternative Video Media (right side of page/右)
Free Speech TV, Democracy Now, VIDEO ACT!
反戦プロジェクト,メディア関連
ホームページ・リンク集。。。
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/index.php

                   HIGHLITES

JAPAN/ASIA

Debito Arudou on the low level of human rights in Japan
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/tpnews_comments.php?id=P517_0_2_0

British magazine/web site reports on Japan Indymedia and TokyoProgressive

The magazine PEACE NOW (War Resisters International) has invited us to
introduce IndyMedia Japan and TokyoProgressive.  These will be up soon.
You can find the link here.  We will le you know when you can read the
article.
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/tpnews_comments.php?id=P522_0_2_0

New Philippine Indymedia site
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/tpnews_comments.php?id=P521_0_2_0

READER QUESTIONS

My students are discussing Israel and Palestine. Many people assume most
conflicts have to do with race, religion or culture.  But the actual
situation is quite different.  Allowing ourself to believe that culture
matters all that much also allows us to seperate ourselves from the
issues and fail to see how our own governments do the same thing to
the weak in our midst, allows us to escape our own responsibility to try
to do something about the social inequalities that lie behind conflicts,
including racism, sexism, class, power, hegemony...

Believing that such conflicts are primarily culture driven also prevents
us from acting in solidarity with people who are victimized by power and
privilege.  Many NGOs operate on the assumption that they can address
the results of conflict (food and money), but often do so in isolation,
failing to see the connections between the conflict in one region and
another, and failing to do anything about the causes, whcih are often
linked to the policies of our own governments--the U.S. certainly, but
Japan also in supporting U.S. forieigbn policy, which favors the Israeli
government and helps to maintain illegal settements,

Questions from my students/readers and attempts at responding are here:

(1) Why are Jews and Muslims fighting in Israel/Fighting in Israel/Palestine?
(2) Why should we not trust the maintsream media?
(3) Contact information for transgender winner of local election?
(4) Where to study media/journalism in Japan?

Good questions. The problem with #1 is that it assumes that all Jews support
the government of Israel and that there are no mutual efforts opposing
the occupation, and promoting social and economic justice. The fact that
this is not familar shows why we cannot trust the official media, which
often distorts or oversimplifies the issues. Here are some sites about #
1 and 2:
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/tpnews_comments.php?id=P523_0_2_0

Here is the question about transgender politician, #3:
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/tpnews_comments.php?id=P520_0_2_0

Here is more on #4, details about where to study journalism in Japan.
If any reader can help, please let us know:
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/tpnews_comments.php?id=P519_0_2_0

Media
As imperfect as the British media is, it is much better than the
crap in the U.S. Where do you think Japan stands?
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/tpnews_comments.php?id=P518_0_2_0

GMOs
Food freedom or Food Slavery, by Dr. Vandana Shiva (India)
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/tpnews_comments.php?id=P525_0_2_0

Previous Issues (top pages): Bottom of page
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/index.php

Main story index
東京プログレッシブのニュース
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/tpindexx.php

Reader story index
あなたからのニュース
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/rmindex.php

____/____/____/____/____/____/____/____/____/____/____/____/____/

Please note that the opinions expressed in any articles or links are
those of the original author(s) and do not necessraily reflect our own
views.

MAIN URL
http://tokyoprogressive.org

SUMMARY OF SERVICES

In brief, TokyoProgressive offers newswires, links, forums, free hosting to
people with a worthy project, a weekly newsletter (what you are reading right
now), and more.

If you have any questions, please send them to TokyoProgressive:
http://www.tokyoprogressive.org/mail2paul.html

copyleft 2002 |tokyoprogressive |