[tokyoprogressive] CPN#167: Mombukagakusho, Ishihara again and again, Sars, NY Times Lies, Environment, Spencer Kagan, Video Activism, more....

  • From: tokyoprogressive@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tokyoprogressive@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 09:07:47 +0900

__/__/__/__/__/__/__/__/_/__/__/__/__/__/
    TokyoProgressive's ChocoPaul News
        Issue #167  June 11 2003

        http://tokyoprogressive.org

Mailing List Subscribe
メーリングリストに参加する
//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/list?list_id=tokyoprogressive
_/__/__/__/__/__/__/__/_/__/__/__/

               REGULAR FEATURES

Latest stories all here (best graphics):
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/index.php

This week's stories (after 1-2 weeks, come here):
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/topblog.php?id=D20030608

このサイトのどの記事にもコメントできます /
Feel free to comment on any story

または/Or

フォラム(BBS)/Discussion Forum
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/forum/forum.php?which=mainforum

TP Articles
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/tpnews.php

Reader Articles
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/weblog.php

Creative Works
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/poetryblog.php

Self Publishing
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/selfpublishing.html

Community (hosting, Chibi, Paul.....)
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/communityblog.php

Main Links
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/link2.html

Featured individuals: Wakana Yokota,Ken Masuoka, Akubi, Richard Wilcox......
(left side of page)
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/index.php

Alternative Video Media (right side of page)
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/index.php

                   HIGHLITES

Discrimination and racism

Take action now! (Deadline June 30) 6・18院内集会
「合同記者会見」&「教
育の権利に関する外国籍住民公聴会」
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/tpnews_comments.php?id=P511_0_2_0_C
Read and comment読む/コメントする

A Joint Appeal to End Ethnic Discrimination in Japanese Education
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/tpnews_comments.php?id=P512_0_2_0_C
Read and comment読む/コメントする

Ishihara's Racism, もうだれもとめないの?石原都知事の差別発言。。。
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/tpnews_comments.php?id=P510_0_2_0_C
Read and comment読む/コメントする

Web watch

Introducing various websites in Japan and around the world of
interest to TokyoProgressive readers:

Japan IndyMedia
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/tpnews_comments.php?id=P510_0_2_0_C

Japan Press Service
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/tpnews_comments.php?id=P488_0_2_0_C

Brian Small (Japan)
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/tpnews_comments.php?id=P486_0_2_0_C

Ken Masuoka (Japan)
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/tpnews_comments.php?id=P485_0_2_0_C

Makiko Nakano (Japan)
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/tpnews_comments.php?id=P484_0_2_0_C

Debito Arudou (Japan)
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/tpnews_comments.php?id=P483_0_2_0_C

Recent News from Akubi's diary/アクビさんのふらふら日記 (Japan)

http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/tpnews_comments.php?id=P482_0_2_0_C

Wakana Yokota (Boston)
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/wakana.html

Richard Wilcox (Japan)
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/rick.html

ZNet Youth Watch (US)
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/tpnews_comments.php?id=P497_0_2_0_C

Left Business Observer (US)
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/tpnews_comments.php?id=P490_0_2_0_C

Red Pepper (UK)
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/tpnews_comments.php?id=P489_0_2_0_C

CounterPunch Magazine (US)
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/tpnews_comments.php?id=P492_0_2_0_C

Jay's Progressive and Leftist Web Resources (?US)
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/tpnews_comments.php?id=P491_0_2_0_C
Read and comment読む/コメントする

Health, Profit and Medical Orthodoxy

Greg Nigh comments on the SARS issue from a critical perspective,
looking at how the drug industry oversimplifies the equation in a
profit-oriented system while overall immune competence declines.
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/tpnews_comments.php?id=501_0_2_0_C
Read and comment読む/コメントする

A second collection of comments by Greg looks at recent issues
surounding HIV/AIDS and SARS.
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/tpnews_comments.php?id=P494_0_2_0
Read and comment読む/コメントする

Meanwhile, Paul McCartin, based in Japan, looks at the effect of
biotechnology and patent "rights" on the lives of indigenous people.
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/tpnews_comments.php?id=500_0_2_0_C

Media/Government Partnership in Lies

Journalistic Fraud at the NY Times
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/tpnews_comments.php?id=P487_0_2_0_C
Read and comment読む/コメントする

Tony Blair in trouble for using forged documents
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/tpnews_comments.php?id=P495_0_2_0_C
Read and comment読む/コメントする

TokyoProgressive and Japan Indymedia are two of a growing number of
sites, we hope, dedicated to shining a light where the corportate and
government-friendly public media fail to look. The following article,
about Movie/Video Activism for the last 60 Years PLUS Video Activist
Links, will be an important resource for those who have yet to discover
the many sources of information out there.
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/tpnews_comments.php?id=P508_0_2_0_C
Read and comment読む/コメントする

The Environment

The International Green Network (Japan) has put out their latest
newsletter on all issues related to the environment, sustainable
development, fair trade, social justice, and related issues.

Some of the topics covered in this issue include saving Korean wetlands
 and tidal flats, volunteering to protect the Okinawan Dugong from the
U.S. military, the Peace as a Global Language conference in Tokyo this
fall, Amnesty International-Tokyo, Mercury in Japanese whalemeat, and
information about the Green Network itself. There is also an environmental
 database for East Asia.

http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/tpnews_comments.php?id=499_0_2_0_C[/url
Read and comment読む/コメントする

Education

Teachers interested in humanistic education and the subject of
cooperative learning will want to know about the series of workshops
given by Spencer Kagan.

http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/tpnews_comments.php?id=P498_0_2_0_C
Read and comment読む/コメントする

The Engaged Pedagogy Association (hosted by TokyoProgressive, something
 we do for progressively minded students, teachers and others) has
links to the Peace as a Global Language conference this fall as well as
 the upcoming Engaged Pedagogy Conference (June 15). Other useful links
 at this site include: alfie kohn website (testing), asakawa's global
english teaching,bell hooks: challenging capitalism and patriarchy
(interview), cooperative learning center, critical media resources(wilcox),
 critical pedagogy websites, critical psychology teaching links,
environmental ngos (wilcox), gay,lesbian and straight education network,
 japan aids prevention awareness network, kagon on line, paolo freire
institute, radical teacher, rethinking schools,shin-eiken, teaching for
 media literacy--tml (paper) and teaching resistance.
http://engagedpedagogy.org/
Read and comment読む/コメントする

Texas Pledge of Allegiance law undermines critical thinking.

This is an article that should be of interest to people in Japan
concerned about the Education Ministry's forced lessons in "patriotism"
requiring students to sing the national anthem, respect the flag and
even grading them in their "love of country". (Please note that it is
mostly "non-cooperative" teachers who get punished now for refusing to
go along with these requirements.)

http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/tpnews_comments.php?id=P496_0_2_0_C
Read and comment読む/コメントする

Now that the Iraq war has been "won" by the forces of Imperial....er, I
mean democracy, the English as a Foreign Language Business is poised to
make a killing in a newly opened market.
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/tpnews_comments.php?id=P506_0_2_0_C
Read and comment読む/コメントする

Wisehat is a great resource for teachers of kids, but not ONLY kids. If
 you are concerned about competition and how it teaches the kind of
values that enable us to do the horrible things we do to each other,
then you will want to check out the site.
Read and comment読む/コメントする
http://wisehat.com/

Here is an excerpt from the website, run by Chris Hunt and Hideko Kato:
Our materials are home-made - literally. One of our goals is to have a
proper studio for music and art but at the moment we are operating out
of a second floor apartment overlooking a rice field. There are
mountains in the distance and a railway line close by. A steam train
puffs by once or twice a week. But we're not quite in the countryside
and we're not in the city. We're somewhere in-between, somewhere on the
 edge and perhaps that is also a good description of the materials we
make.

Our materials are a little different. They encourage children to play
and learn together. They encourage sharing and participation. They
encourage daring and concentration. They encourage caring and
celebration. They are also fun! The games we make are without winners
and losers. There are challenges and the players may not always get the
 optimum result first time but no-one wins at the expense of others.
The idea of sitting around a table and trying to beat your friends is
more than peculiar. That we should consider it fun and entertaining is
obnoxious. What kind of society do we create when we impress upon
children the importance of being number one? What kind of values are we
 teaching? What kind of beliefs? You loser! Pretty strong, isn't it? It's
 a simple put down and cruelly effective. This concept of winning and
losing is so ingrained in our thinking, that it's easy to forget that
we have a choice. We can choose to co-operate or we can choose
competition. We can choose to spend resources on improving peoples'
lives or we can stockpile and use weapons of destruction. We can move
towards honouring life, liberty and justice or we can fight to be top.
We can quit. We can end the cancer of competition. Please help.

Index of recent issues can be found on the top page. (bottom of the
entry for June, for example)
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/index.php

Example of topics covereed

May 2003: GMO protests, Racism in Japan, Patriotism, Wakana Yokota, Rick
Wilcox, Dixie Chicks, Rachel Corrie, Novel prize for Bush and Blair,
Edward Herman, Arundhati Roy, Free Speech from a 13-year old, Zinn, US
Weapons of Mass Destruction, ZNet Introduction, Cigarettes kilol, South
and North Korea

Late April 2003: Iraq (Pilger, BBC Head Criticizes American Media, Robert
Jensen,
Okinawa, Henmi You, Japan IndyMedia, Artists Against Empire

Mid April 2003: Iraq

Early April 2003: Iraq

March 2003: Activism in Japan, Train Stopping, 100s of Links,
Civil Disobedience

February 2003: Peace Activism in Japan, Introducing Japan Focus, Znet Japan
, Beautiful Animation Against War, Resisting the Israeli Occupation

February 2003: Protest reports from NY and Japan Demonstrations, Guernica
Painting,
Censored Pictures of 1991 Gulf War, Tokai Earthquake and Japan's Nukes

January 2003:Richard Wilcox (Environmental Links), Arundhati Roy- Confronting
Empire
(Port Alegre), Denis J. Halliday/Normon Solomon on Bush War Plans:
Obscene, Student Strike on March 5th, Poets Against Bush call for poems
to counter war, A Call For Conscientious Objection to War and War
Preparations

____/____/____/____/____/____/____/____/____/____/____/____/____/

Please note that the opinions expressed in any articles or links are
those of the original author(s) and do not necessraily reflect our own
views.

MAIN URL
http://tokyoprogressive.org

SUMMARY OF SERVICES

In brief, TokyoProgressive offers newswires, links, forums, free hosting to
people with a worthy project, a weekly newsletter (what you are reading right
now), and more.

If you have any questions, please send them to TokyoProgressive:
http://www.tokyoprogressive.org/mail2paul.html

copyleft 2002 |tokyoprogressive |