[tn-moths] Re: off-topic--dragonfly from putnam county, tn, 29 august 2010

  • From: Harold Howell <howellh2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2010 20:23:27 -0400

Steve,

It is a female Eastern Amberwing.  The male hase entirely orange wings, but
the female has clear wings except for variable brown markings, generally a
basal spot and a band at the nodus.  I have found the females to be slightly
larger than the males, but they are all about one inch long maximum.

Best regards,

Harold Howell
Grainger County, TN