[tn-moths] Reception for Moth Study Site

  • From: Larry McDaniel <larrycmcd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BUTTERFLY NET <mebc-butterfly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, BUTTERNUTS <butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, tn-moths <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 15:42:54 -0400

The Moth Study Site at Winged Deer Park is under way. It is a part of Discover
Life’s http://www.discoverlife.org/ long term project to study moth
populations. http://www.discoverlife.org/moth/ Connie Deegan (City of Johnson
City Naturalist) has been working on a kickoff reception. John Pickering
http://www.discoverlife.org/who/Pickering,_John.html and Tori Staples of
Discover Life will be at the reception which is March 26th starting at 7:00 pm.
It will be at the headquarters building (the big white house) at Winged Deer
Park. John will give a presentation about how these study sites and citizen
science contribute to our understanding of global events such as climate
change. We will also have lights set up to attract moths and other night flying
insects.  This project is going to require involvement from volunteers who
would like to participate in citizen science. Anyone can participate. ETSU
biology students would be perfect for this. Our plans are to conduct the
studies on Wednesday and Thursday nights, starting 1/2 hour after sunset and
spending an hour or two photographing. This will be each week from March
through October. We will set up lights to attract insects and photograph all
that we observe. The photos will be submitted to the Discover Life collection
and be used as long term data. On site training will be given. Please try to be
at the reception to learn first hand more about this fascinating project.
Thanks,Larry McDaniel773-9234