[tn-moths] Re: FOY's for Chester County

  • From: kjchilds <kjchilds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 12:38:09 -0700 (PDT)

The first year I first started doing this, I photographed pretty much every
moth I saw and then tried to figure out what they were. I had a lot of help
which was one of those good news/bad news things. The moths got identified but
really didn't learn what to look for.

The second year I decided to work hard to ID as much as I could myself. I
figured out a way to download all of the pictures from the Moth Photographers
Group (MPG) and then I renamed and sorted them based on the Hodges numbers.
This allowed me to scan through the pictures much faster than if I had to look
through the plates online. Once I found a match, I would go to the site, type
in the Hodges number and get the rest of the info. It still took a huge amount
of time to figure out what I was looking at and I still needed help with many
of them.

Each year it gets easier. This is year #4 and I've finally got a good grasp of
the families so when I see something new, I usually know where to start my
search.

When taking photos, it's important to capture as much detail as possible. If
it's a species that lies flat, a shot from above is usually all you need. If
it's a species that shows a relatively tall profile, a side view is a must,
possibly in addition to a view from above. When I edit the photos, I always
rotate/flip them so they match the pictures on MPG. It's amazing how much this
helps when it's time to ID them.

http://tinyurl.com/FinishFlagFarmsMoths
http://www.finishflagfarms.com