[tn-moths] Re: FOYs Washington County

  • From: kjchilds <kjchilds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 14:37:44 -0700 (PDT)

The list on BAMONA for Marion should be relatively complete. Many counties are
lacking reports on common species probably just because no one living there has
been reporting to BAMONA.

A definitive photograph is necessary to get a record accepted by BAMONA. Some
species are very similar so you may need a photo of a specific part of the bug
to be sure of the ID. A good example are Juvenal's and Horace's Duskywings.
From the top they look virtually identical but from below the Juvenal's usually
has 2 pale spots near the upper margin of the hindwing. Horace's don't have
these spots.

There are some like the Checkered-Skippers that can't be ID'd from a photo so
the only way to get a record is to collect some and send them to an expert for
microscopic examination. Some people are against the killing of a butterfly or
moth, even if it's for research purposes so records of Common and White
Checkered-Skippers are few and far between. I have no problem with it,
especially if what you're collecting is a common insect but I respect opposing
opinions on the matter.

http://www.finishflagfarms.com