[tn-moths] Re: Eupsilia

  • From: kjchilds <kjchilds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2014 20:55:08 -0700 (PDT)

Doug,

I don't know if there's a standard but I've been told to get photos of the
reniform spot, along the costa out from the reniform, and near the apex. I've
attached pics of one I shot today. As you can see, the scales are different in
each location.

They overwinter as adults so whenever it's 50 or above at around sunset, you
should expect to see them. For every one I see at the lights, I'll see 5 on the
bait.

Ken

>________________________________

of the scales of Eupsilia spp?  Or does it matter?

>MPG provides a key for Eupsilia, but doesn’t address location:
>http://mothphotographersgroup.msstate.edu/MothTalkDownload/MothTalk010.htm
>
>There was a Eupsilia submission to bugguide from Maryland yesterday, so
they’re likely flying here soon.

>~ Doug
>Anderson Co., TN

shots so we could compare notes. I've heard that the reniform on E. vinulentais
usually flat-ish on the bottom so if that spot is round, it's probably not
vinulenta. I haven't examined enough to
know if this holds true but others that have examined hundreds say it does.
Those others are in Michigan so it's possible what they are seeing is a
regional
variation. I've also noticed that vinulenta
has a dirtier look to it. Again, I haven't examined enough to say that holds
true.

>Ken Childs
>Henderson, TN
>Chester