[tn-moths] Condica vecors or C. confederata?

  • From: "J. Merrill Lynch" <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-moths <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 14:20:22 -0500

 Moth'ers,

I came across this image going through my pile of unknowns.  It is either an
unusually bright C. vecors or a female or dull form of C. confederata.  I've
seen plenty of C. vecors but never an individual this brightly
patterned with yellowish-tan along the inner margin of the forewing.  C.
confederata is sexually dimorphic and the males are pretty striking.
Apparently females are much duller and my individual seems to match pretty
well with images of female C. confederata on MPG/Bugguide.  I have no
experience with C. confederata and was wondering if any of you may have come
across this species and can share your opinion.  I've sent this image to
Parker Backstrom and he thinks it's a dull C. confederata and I tend to
agree.  This individual was photographed at my Halifax County farm on Sept.
25, 2010.

Merrill

--
J. Merrill Lynch