[tn-dragonflies] Two-striped Forceptail reported at Fall Creek Falls SP

  • From: Rconnorsphoto@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-dragonflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2012 20:20:44 -0400 (EDT)

Giff Beaton happened to be at Fall Creek Falls SP this past weekend and
reports seeing a Two-striped Forceptail (Aphylla williamsoni) at the lake by
the  inn. His time there was limited so he was not able to capture it or get
photos.  This is a good sighting for Tennessee! I found one in west TN July
2nd 2010, the  only record for the state so far. I checked there (Chickasaw
SP) and a few  other spots last year with no luck. Early July may be the
"flight  time" for this one in TN, I suspect they're just moving up from the
south and  not breeding here, so they could turn up anywhere. They are lake
species  evidently, not so much streams or rivers.
It's a spectacular bug and still rare in TN, so would be worth keeping  an
eye out for if not making special effort to search out. I will try to get to
 Fall Creek Falls this week myself, but if anyone is in the area please
look for  it, and have your camera ready!

Richard Connors
Nashville