[tn-dragonflies] Meadowhawks

  • From: "tom howe" <blountbirder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-dragonflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 19:28:04 -0400

July 15, 2012

Blount Co.

We took a quick jaunt into Cades Cove in the Great Smokies Sunday afternoon,
mostly to check out the recent storm damage. The devastation along the road
approaching the Cove was locally incredible-some hillsides with nearly every
tree uprooted. I visited a small wetland off Sparks Lane and found 4 male
Ruby Meadowhawks. One female Blue-faced Meadowhawk was along a nearby gravel
road. Walking a pasture along a mostly dry creek bed yielded very little-one
female Widow Skimmer and one or two Common Green Darners hawking over the
field. I didn't spend much time as it was about 90 out with at least that
much percent humidity which left me drenched. There are some larger wetlands
in the interior of the cove west of Hyatt Lane which I would recommend
visiting on some weekday when the traffic is down.

Tom Howe,

Alcoa