[tn-dragonflies] Re: [TN-Butterflies] Fwd: Photo Recovery

  • From: kjchilds <kjchilds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN Butterflies <TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, TN Moths <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, tn-dragonflies <tn-dragonflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 15:12:45 -0700 (PDT)

That's good to know, just in case.

Mainly because I don't trust myself to do it safely, I never delete pictures while the card is still in the camera. Memory is cheap enough so that if I need the space, I'll pop in another card. Also, I do so many crazy things in editing that a bad shot may still be useful in one way or another.

Ken Childs
Henderson, TN
Chester County

http://www.finishflagfarms.com

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 07:27:33 -0400
From: Julius Basham <juliusbasham@xxxxxxxxx>
To: undisclosed-recipients:;

I usually scroll through the pictures I've just taken, on the way home, while they are still in the camera.  At least ten percent get deleted on the spot, as I can see on the 3" screen that they are blurry or not-so-hot.  Yesterday as I was driving and deleting, I inadvertently hit the wrong combination of buttons and deleted this picture of a (summer form) Sleepy Orange. I had seen it long enough to know that it was pretty good, and since I don't really have any decent photos of a sf SO, I was quite frustrated with myself.  I decided to try and recover the shot.
Much Google-ing brought me to some free software from Germany called PC Smart Recovery  http://download.pcinspector.de/pci_us_smartrecovery.exe
Anyway, I just followed the instructions and "voila" it found all the deleted photos on the SD card.
Maybe you guys do it all the time, for me it was a first, so I was quite pleased.
The one caution that was well emphasized, was to not take any more photos on the SD card that you want to recover from, as it might write over the photos you are trying to salvage.