[tn-dragonflies] Phipps Bend, Hawkins County

  • From: Rick Phillips <sunfish0501@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-dragonflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2014 14:49:55 -0400

I walked around the large ponds at Phipps Bend again today. The recent
rains have helped raise the water levels a bit, but we still need more. The
trail there has large ponds on one side and the Holston River on the other
yielding a diversity of habitats and many possibilities for odes. I didn't
see any new species today, but I have noticed an increase in the numbers of
some species and a decline in the numbers of others. The Blue Corporals I
was finding there earlier in the season seem to be absent now. The numbers
of Widow Skimmers is increasing, while the Tweleve-spotted Skimmers are
about gone. I usually seem many Black Saddlebags there, but have never
found one perched where I could get a photo (other than a crappy
flight-shot) until today. I found a cooperative individual that allowed me
a close approach and many nice photos. I'll share one with the list.

June 14, 2014
Phipps Bend, Hawkins County

Common Green Darner
Blue Dasher