[tn-dragonflies] Memphis area odes

  • From: richard connors <didymops07@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-dragonflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-dragonflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2014 16:05:37 -0500

June 12, 2014

Visiting my sister in Memphis this past week I took off a day and explored
the area.

*Wolf River Greenway*, Shelby Co.
 Most interesting to me was Com. Sanddragon, not one we see much in middle
TN, but common enough west. Nothing much by the river, high from much rain,
but the pond area held some odes.

Blue-fronted Dancer - many, away from water
Blue-tipped Dancer -     "          "        "
Slender Bluet
Fragile Forktail
Cyrano Darner - one patrolling an outflow pool
Com. Sanddragon - 2
Prince Baskettail
E.  Pondhawk - many, the dominant ode around the pond, and probably the
reason there are not more damselflies at the pond itself.
Slaty Skimmer
Widow Skimmer
Blue Dasher - many
E. Amberwing

*Ghost River section Wolf R*., Fayette Co.
Here too, river was high and not much observed at the river. Most odes seen
at TWRA pond and Mineral Slough boardwalk. Most interesting here was fresh
male Variegated Meadowhawk , a western species possibly breeding in the
state. Most records (of only 1/2 dozen or so) are from late fall and likely
migrant wanderers from the west (Allan Trently's Fayette Co. record is from
fall), but there are several records from early enough in the season that
they probably emerged locally. See photo attached.

Southern Spreadwing - 1
Blue-tipped Dancer
Azure Bluet - 1
Fragile Forktail