[tn-dragonflies] Carter Co. Spiketail

  • From: Rick Phillips <sunfish0501@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-dragonflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2014 19:25:40 -0400

I spent some time today wandering around Roan Mountain State Park in Carter
County. I found some interesting dragonflies along a very small, dark
stream near the picnic shelters. The stream was slow-flowing, with a silt
or mud bottom and heavily vegetated along the edges. Trees were also
shading the stream. I watched what I identified as Brown Spiketaiils slowly
patrolling the stream. Very interesting odes. I saw several interactions
between males and also saw a female ovipositing. I saw a couple of
clubtails other places, but only fleeting glimpses as they headed from the
ground to the trees. I also stopped at the Limestone Cove Recreation Area
on the way to Roan. I saw a couple more clubtails as they headed for the
trees and had a couple of Gray Petaltails. I'll enclose a shot of one of
the male Brown Spiketails for an id check. Meant to work the Hampton Creek
Cove State Natural Area while I was at Roan, but it started raining about
the time I got there. Will save that for another day.

Rick
--
Rick Phillips
Kingsport, Tennessee