[TN-Butterflies] Re: skipper ID help

  • From: Bart Jones <bjones7777@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sourpersimmon@xxxxxxxxx>, <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 15:19:11 -0500

Hi Rikki,

I believe the photo you attached is of a Northern Broken-Dash.  Congrats! that
would be a new one for BAMONA.

Bart Jones

Memphis, Shelby County

From: sourpersimmon@xxxxxxxxx
To: tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [TN-Butterflies] skipper ID help
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 14:55:27 -0400

I've posted a few skipper photos at BugGuide, but have not gotten any replies
yet. I'm new at trying to name skippers anything other than "skipper," so all
my IDs are tentative.

This <a href=http://bugguide.net/node/view/400021>first one</a> is the one I'm
most confident about. It's a male zabulon.

glassywing, very similar to the photo posted by Allan Trently recently, but it
also looks a lot like one Julius Basham said was a female zabulon with black
tufts on the "shoulders." Note also the adorable pygmy grasshopper nymph on the
left.

Most puzzling to me is <a href=http://bugguide.net/node/view/400024>this
one</a>, which seems closest to clouded skipper, but not a great match. Maybe a
drab female?

Finally there is the one attached below, which seems to be a broken-dash,
Wallengrenia sp, but looks more like northern than southern. Southern is listed
in BAMONA for Blount Co, but northern is not. It's also not a bad match for
Duke's skipper.

Rikki Hall
Rockford, Blount Co

IMG_1740.JPG