[TN-Butterflies] skipper ID help

  • From: Richard Hall <sourpersimmon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 14:55:27 -0400

I've posted a few skipper photos at BugGuide, but have not gotten any replies yet. I'm new at trying to name skippers anything other than "skipper," so all my IDs are tentative.

This <a href="" href="http://bugguide.net/node/view/400021">http://bugguide.net/node/view/400021>first one</a> is the one I'm most confident about. It's a male zabulon.

Most puzzling to me is <a href="" href="http://bugguide.net/node/view/400024">http://bugguide.net/node/view/400024>this one</a>, which seems closest to clouded skipper, but not a great match. Maybe a drab female?

Finally there is the one attached below, which seems to be a broken-dash, Wallengrenia sp, but looks more like northern than southern. Southern is listed in BAMONA for Blount Co, but northern is not. It's also not a bad match for Duke's skipper.

Rikki Hall
Rockford, Blount Co

IMG_1740.JPG
skipper