[TN-Butterflies] Re: Yehl ? vs Broad-winged Greene Co BAMONA most likely

  • From: Rconnorsphoto@xxxxxxx
  • To: juliusbasham@xxxxxxxxx, TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 19:33:24 EDT

Great! Thanks Julius. I hoped I had it figured out, but since this is the
first one I have seen ( a Lifer for me) I wanted to make sure.

Richard C

In a message dated 6/16/2010 6:24:38 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
juliusbasham@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Richard,

Very nice photos of a female Yehl. The ventral shot  shows the 3 nice
whitish ovals, usually indicative of a female Yehl. (the  males often have
yellow
ovals)
In the blank space, where you would  expect there to be a 4th white oval
spot, is a broad ,yellowy, golden ray that  extends from the outer edge, and
heads towards the wingroot, making it about  halfway through the hindwing.
(On your particular gal, it's mainly  imaginary)
The dorsal male Yehl shows a very obvious black stigma, but the  dorsal
female Yehl, and the dorsal Mr. and Mrs. Broad-wingeds, have very  similar
markings, and can be quite troublesome.
The similar three, from  above, show almost identical yellow orange
markings on the dorsal hindwing,  but the dorsal forewing can give a few clues.
The male Broad-winged usually  shows all yellow orange markings, on the
dorsal forewing. (including the 2-3  wrist bracelet marks)