[TN-Butterflies] Re: White M?

  • From: dnldhlt@xxxxxxx
  • To: kjchilds@xxxxxxxxx, TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 21:52:50 -0400

Ken
I don't have enough experience with this species to know for sure, but 'Northern' Southern Hairstreak could be a possibility, since the orange spot doesn't quite reach the 'M', and they can have a white spot near the base of the hindwing sometimes just like the White-M. The time of year would probably favor White-M locally, but with the recent warm fronts and the bug's worn condition it might have come some distance from the south with an early start Quite an interesting find, either way.
Don Holt
Johnson City, TN.