[TN-Butterflies] The butterfly garden is paying off!

  • From: kjchilds <kjchilds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN Butterflies <TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 16:05:00 -0700 (PDT)

I spent a few minutes counting the butterfly species hanging around my
butterfly
garden this morning. I was moving around to get closer looks and some pictures
but all could have been seen if I'd stood in one spot between the flower beds.
Most were feeding on Lantana or Zinnias with a few on Purple Coneflowers. All
the Cloudless Sulphurs were on Wave Petunias. Little Yellows were passing
through with an occasional stop to feed on White Clover. Red-Spotted Purples
and
QM's were passing through with an occasional pause. I know Butterfly Bushes are
supposed to be one of the best for attracting butterflies but my 3 plant are
being pretty much ignored right now.

Here's the list. The count was done at about 10:00 A.M.

 Silver-spotted Skipper (Epargyreus clarus)
 Southern Cloudywing (Thorybes bathyllus)
 Hayhurst's Scallopwing (Staphylus hayhurstii)
 Common Sootywing (Pholisora catullus)
 Clouded Skipper (Lerema accius)
 Least Skipper (Ancyloxypha numitor)
 Fiery Skipper (Hylephila phyleus)
 Sachem (Atalopedes campestris)
 Little Glassywing (Pompeius verna)
 Dun Skipper (Euphyes vestris)
 Pipevine Swallowtail (Battus philenor)
 Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (Papilio glaucus)
 Spicebush Swallowtail (Papilio troilus)
 Orange Sulphur (Colias eurytheme)
 Cloudless Sulphur (Phoebis sennae)
 Little Yellow (Pyrisitia lisa)
 Gray Hairstreak (Strymon melinus)
 Eastern Tailed-Blue (Cupido comyntas)
 Monarch (Danaus plexippus)
 Variegated Fritillary (Euptoieta claudia)
 Pearl Crescent (Phyciodes tharos)
 Common Buckeye (Junonia coenia)
 Question Mark (Polygonia interrogationis)
 American Lady (Vanessa virginiensis)
 'Astyanax' Red-spotted Purple (Limenitis arthemis astyanax)

I saw 2 more probable Confused Cloudywings but this was when I was working so I
wasn't able to get really good looks to confirm the ID's

 Ken Childs
Henderson, TN
Chester County

http://www.finishflagfarms.com