[TN-Butterflies] Red-spotted Purple eggs

  • From: Rita Venable <ritavenable@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 22:06:46 -0500

During a nature camp this week at Owl's Hill Nature Sanctuary, Nancy Garden
observed a Red-spotted Purple laying eggs on a young cherry tree (*Prunus
serotina*)  beside a trail. She told me about it and today we went back to
the same tree (good memory, Nancy) where we found at least 10 eggs on the
tips of various leaves. The eggs might have been laid on different days or
by different females.  The eggs are held in place by a very strong glue
secreted by the female. The hole at the top of the egg on the right is where
sperm has entered to fertilize the egg inside the body of the female. In a
few days the tiny Red-spotted Purple caterpillars will emerge and the first
thing they will do is make a meal of their egg shells. In short order, they
will begin to eat the cherry leaves.