[TN-Butterflies] Re: Sleepy Orange chrysalis on Senna

  • From: "Bill Haley" <wgh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mlbierly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Tennessee Butterflies" <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 15:00:07 -0400

I enjoyed the shots of the chrysalis of the Sleepy Orange. It is amazing
how well camouflaged both the Sleepy Orange and Cloudless Sulphur
chrysalis can be. My first experience with Cloudless Sulphur was a
number of years ago when I worked at the Chattanooga News-Free Press. I
kept an aquarium in my office (no water or fish in it since the untimely
demise of "Harold, the Fabulous Leaping Bream" in the Great Heat Wave of
'87", but that is another story). I began to bring in caterpillars and
host plants when I found them. We kept a large magnifying glass close by
and everyone enjoyed watching the caterpillars munch away. We
occasionally got to see one molt into a chrysalis. Then when they would
emerge, we'd have a little release ceremony outside. One Monday morning
I came back in to check on a couple of Cloudless Sulphur caterpillars
I'd found on senna a week or two earlier. They were nowhere to be found,
and I couldn't find a chrysalis either! After a very careful secondary
search, I finally found both chrysalids right in front of my nose,
attached to the senna plant. They were so close to the color and shape
of the leaves they blended in perfectly!

Bill Haley

Chattanooga, TN

Hamilton County