[TN-Butterflies] Shelby County FOY

  • From: Bart Jones <bjones7777@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 17:24:10 -0500

Hi Folks,Spent a couple of hours at my favorite butterfly spot in Shelby County
(Eagle Lake WMA) this afternoon and saw lots of things.  The best by far was 2
Funereal Duskywings (FOY), the first time I've ever seen more than one at any
given time.  They were nice and fresh as you can see from the photo attached.
Other nice finds were Dainty Sulphurs, Phaon Crescents (which have been present
since late March), and a Hayhurst's Scallopwing.  The most common thing flying
by far was Common Checkered-Skipper.  I've never seen so many ever.  There were
over a hundred for sure.  Below is the list of species seen: Eastern Tiger
SwallowtailPipevine SwallowtailSpicebush SwallowtailOrange SulphurSleepy
OrangeDainty SulphurLittle YellowCloudless SulphurGray HairstreakRed-banded
HairstreakEastern Tailed-BlueVariegated FritillaryGreat Spangled
FritillaryPearl CrescentPhaon CrescentQuestion MarkAmerican LadyCommon
BuckeyeHackberry EmperorAmerican SnoutSilver-spotted SkipperFunereal Duskywing
(FOY)Horace's DuskywingCommon/White Checkered-SkipperHayhurst's Scallopwing
(FOY)Common SootywingFiery SkipperSachemClouded Skipper (FOY)Zabulon Skipper
Bart JonesMemphis, Shelby County