[TN-Butterflies] Reminder: upcoming butterfly counts

  • From: "Bill Haley" <wgh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jadams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <birchh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gail_bryan@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Carol Fegarido" <BirdsandTrails@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <glenda_hood@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "mark lawrence" <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Lemzala@xxxxxxx>, <Jonniesuel@xxxxxxx>, "Michael O'Brien" <pathdoc60@xxxxxxxxx>, "Tommie Rogers" <Bananaquit1@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Susan Schott" <schottbirds@xxxxxxxxx>, "David Spicer" <dspicer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Jennifer Taylor" <jet@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Nancy Williams" <chatt.loghomes@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <WOLFE11111@xxxxxxx>, <jjadmj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Stephen Stedman" <SStedman@xxxxxxxxxx>, "M B RANDLES" <mbrandles@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <cbyles@xxxxxxxxx>, "Carl Swafford" <droffaws@xxxxxxxxx>, <davdbcoe@xxxxxxx>, "Audrey Hoff" <ahofftn@xxxxxxxxx>, "Carol Wolf" <humble1@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Trently, David J" <dtrently@xxxxxxx>, "Rita Venable" <rita@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Julius Basham" <juliusbasham@xxxxxxxxx>, <swj4818@xxxxxxxxx>, "Mel Harris" <kabukisix@xxxxxxxxx>, <CJones2033@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 10:13:48 -0400

Hello all;

Just a reminder that we have two NABA fall seasonal butterfly counts
coming up this week. As always there is a $3 NABA fee per participant.
You do not have to be an expert, so come out and lend a hand! Butterfly
numbers and diversity are spectacular right now!!!!

Thurs., Sept. 2: Lookout Mountain, GA count circle.

Meet 9:30am in the parking lot beside the Krystal on South Broad Street
in Chattanooga. We'll carpool to the count circle from there. This will
be our first fall seasonal count in this circle. We found 44 species
there on July 10 and I expect more for this count.

Sat., Sept. 4: Tennessee River Gorge, TN count circle.

1st option: Meet 9:30am in parking lot of Blue Blazes Trail on Moccasin
Bend Road. David Spicer will be your leader, exploring the Blue Blazes
Trail/Moccasin Bend area. Note: The Moccasin Bend area will offer a
wider diversity of butterflies than option 2.

 2nd option: Meet 9:30am at Outdoor Chattanooga facility on River
Street, near Walnut Street Bridge. Bill Haley will lead a butterfly walk
around Coolidge Park and Renaissance Park (they are within the count
circle) until 11:30, then we'll meet up with other the group. This area
has never been surveyed during a butterfly count. Remember, you must pay
to park in the parking lots or along the street here!

I would love to split up areas within both count circles and have
several parties if we have enough knowledgeable counters. Let me know if
that might be an option for you.

My cell # is (423) 326-9248, home # (423) 756-4106 if you need
directions. I will be off work after today, so you'll need to call one
of these numbers.

Bill Haley

President, Tennessee Valley NABA