[TN-Butterflies] NABA Count at Rick Evans/Grandview WMA on April 7, 2013

  • From: Craig Marks <cwmaplc@xxxxxxx>
  • To: ARBFLY-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Louisianaleps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, TX-Butterfly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, swamp_fox@xxxxxxx, asilidman@xxxxxxxxx, theiafol@xxxxxxxxx, samantha.scheiman@xxxxxxxxx, herschel.raney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, arbour@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, gdosr@xxxxxxx, randre@xxxxxxxxxx, jftrahan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lefevers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, okleps@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 15:39:55 -0400 (EDT)

Ladies and Gentlemen,

     The responses have been almost all positive, and we will go forward with
the referenced count on April 7. We will meet at the Wal-Mart in Hope at 9:00
am. We will gather at the front of the Wal-Mart parking lot (less than a mile
west off the interstate at the southern-most Hope AR exit). Look for us up
close to the entrance and gas station. We will all drive out to the WMA from
there, hoping to start around 9:30. Please let me know who is going to attend
so I know who to be looking for and don't drive off and leave anyone.

     There are restrooms. We will start the count in the back of the WMA, in
the area where the Frosted Elfins were seen last year (on March 30 and April 1)
At the front facility there is a soft drink machine, but that is somewhat away
from where the count will take place, so bring water, drinks and food. We
typically stop in a shaded area for lunch between 12:00 and 1:00.

      For those who are not a member of the Southern Lep. Society (and if you
are not, please consider joining to get some in depth coverage of southern
butterflies), I attach an article I wrote about last year's visit.

      My plan is to divide into groups and spread out to maximize coverage. We
will move around the unit as the day progresses, typically ending around 4:00.
As we get closer to the date, I will post a list of everything seen on last
year's visit so everyone can have an idea of what might be seen. Mosquitos are
never real bad, but bring bug spray for the ticks. We do a pretty good amount
of walking so wear comfortable shoes. Some of the area is rough terrain w/ tall
grass and/or briars. I recommend long pants, thick socks and bring a hat.

      I will be in Hope Saturday night at the Holiday Inn Express. In fact,
I'll try to get there on Sat. in time to go out to the unit after lunch to do
some scouting to determine what areas have been burned, mowed. look promising,
etc. My cell # is (337)654-4848. Call if anyone would like to join me.

      I have posted this on the Texas, Tennesse and Oklahoma listservs.
Hopefully there are some people in east OK, east TX or west TN who will be
interested. Everyone is invited.

Craig Marks