[TN-Butterflies] Identification

  • From: "J.N. & Ella Howard" <birders3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 08:57:37 -0500

Friends,
     A few days ago I sent a list of recently observed butterflies and
included two that some have been good enough to question - and I genuinely
appreciate that because I have mostly done my indentifying on my own for a
few years and with these two I was not careful enough to check the
geographical distribution.  So I have questions that perhaps someone can
make suggestions on.
     A "White" that I have called a Southern White because it does not have
the spots I expected on Cabbage Whites.  Are there some of the Cabbage
Whites that do not have the wing spots?
     I have called a "Brown" and Eyed Brown because the spots seemed smaller
and the wing edges smoother than the Northern Pearly Eye.  The spot color
patterns are the same as the Northern Pearly Eye, but smaller it has seemed
to me.  The Appalachian Brown has a different color pattern (in the rings).
Are some of the Nothern Pearly Eyes just likely to have smaller spots?  Of
course a problem is that the Browns are more accidental in finding and thus,
not easy to check out again until one is fortunate enough to spot them
again.
     If anyone has suggestions or clarification, I would appreciate it.

J. N. Howard,

                            Fiery
Gizzard Cove, Marion County