[TN-Butterflies] Re: Emailing: Tomato Hornworm parasites 10-6-11_005 .jpg

  • From: kjchilds <kjchilds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bananaquit1@xxxxxxxxxxx" <Bananaquit1@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Bill Haley <wgh@xxxxxxxxxx>, Susan Schott <schottbirds@xxxxxxxxx>, Libby Wolfe <WOLFE11111@xxxxxxx>, David Spicer <birdsnbflys@xxxxxxxxx>, "tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 07:48:36 -0800 (PST)

Hey Tommie,

When it gets to this point, you might as well leave the cocoons alone. The
larvae feed inside the caterpillar and then emerge to spins those cocoons so at
this point, any damage has already been done.

This is a Carolina Sphinx caterpillar, AKA Tobacco Hornworm and those wasps are
important to have around as a control of this pest species.

Ken Childs
Henderson, TN
Chester County

http://www.finishflagfarms.com