[TN-Butterflies] Duskywing behavior in Carter County

  • From: "Doug Bruce" <s137@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN Butterflies" <TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 16:03:08 -0400

On Sunday April 10, Harold Howell and I visited Carter County.  Along Wilbur
Lake, we photographed a Sleepy(?) Duskywing on a little-used asphalt side road.
 Three photos of the same individual here:
http://s972.photobucket.com/albums/ae204/DougLepidoptera/Carter_Co/

This butterfly spent several minutes moving around in one spot, curling its
abdomen forward and reaching back under its body with its proboscis, giving the
appearance of re-ingesting something it was excreting.  Two of the above photos
show this behavior.

If this sounds familiar, it's because I described this same behavior with a
Clouded Skipper last October:
//www.freelists.org/post/tn-butterflies/which-duskywing,3

So, here are two questions.  (1) What are these butterflies doing?  And (2) Is
that duskywing a Sleepy (or a Dreamy)?

Thanks,
Doug Bruce
Oak Ridge