[TN-Butterflies] Another Reakirt's Blue Record

  • From: Bart Jones <bjones7777@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 19:16:11 -0500

Went up to Sunk Lake State Natural Area in Lauderdale County this afternoon and
in a ditch lined with Prairie Mimosa, I spotted this Reakirt's Blue.  I flushed
up a couple of other blues from the Mimosa and they were probably Reakirt's,
but they didn't land again and flew over the backside of the ditch.  All the
ETBs were puddling, the Reakirt's seem to be pretty closely tied to the Prairie
Mimosa.  All four that I saw at Eagle Lake last week were in or very near a
patch of it.   I stopped at Eagle Lake for a few minutes and saw one of the
Reakirts along the berm again, but the cool thing there was a hybrid between a
Viceroy and a Red-spotted Purple.  I think Allan Trently saw one here last
year, so Eagle Lake seems to be the place for interspecies relationships! Bart
JonesMemphis, Shelby County