[TN-Bird] urgent request for funds

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Rconnorsphoto@xxxxxxx, TN-Bird <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 17:44:00 -0700 (PDT)

Richard, and others,

Many of you (I hope) know that Tennessee Ornithological Society has a
small amount of money avaialable for conservation issues.  As the
chair of the TOS Conservation & Research Funding Committee, I would
like to direct you to the portion of the TOS web page that describes
how to apply for funding.  While the amount may not be very big,
every bit helps in a project like this, and the application process
is not too difficult.

Charlie

--- Rconnorsphoto@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Radnor Lake State Natural Area
> Nashville TN
>  The Natural Area is located in a fast developing and sprawling
> urban
> landscape. It is set in a bowl, ringed with hills and ridges, and
> this makes it what
> is known to us birders as a prime migrant trap. The birds dont see
> it so much
> a trap as an oasis, and Radnor is known far and wide for great
> birding. The
> ridges protect the inner area and the ridges are themselves prime
> habitat.
> Ganier Ridge to the N.E., named for Albert Ganier, one of the
> founders of TOS, is
> certainly prime on a spring morning! The South Cove trail  winds
> around the
> hills to the south, and is tranquil and uncrowded any day of the
> week.
> Several years ago I showed a friend a new bird. We were on the
> ridge crest of
> the South Cove Trail, above the lake and away from the parade of
> "talker
> -walkers" who take advantage of the beautiful setting for their
> constitutional. I
> heard the the vireo with the distinctive "three-eight" twist to
> it's song, and
> was able to point out the bird with it's pale yellow throat glowing
> in the
> morning sun. My friend and I might not have heard the bird at all
> if there had
> been the kind of developement just off the trail that is planned
> there now.
> There are six lots adjoining this ridgeline for sale in an upscale
> developement.
> If developed there will be the sound of weed eaters and leaf
> blowers instead
> of vireos to be heard!
> .
> Upscale means expensive and this is the problem. There is a
> fundraising drive
> underway - any and all help is needed to secure the purchase price
> in time
> before the contract expires. As of today, Monday May 24, we still
> have  almost
> $80,000 to raise by end date of June 9. The Nashville chapter of
> TOS has
> donated $5000 and individuals are giving as they can. If you and
> /or your group can
> possibly give to a worthy cause now is the time! TOS at the state
> level is
> considering giving from the Conservation Fund and should be
> encouraged to do so,
> if there is time for action.
>  The mailing address for contributions is:
>                      Friends of Radnor Lake
>                      P.O. Box 40324
>                      Nashville TN 37204
> Send donations to Friends of Radnor Lake attn. Radnor Glen purchase
>
> Please see this web address for an article in todays Tennessean
> [...]

=====
Charlie Muise, Naturalist near
Great Smoky Mountains National Park

"Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of cancer."  -Edward Abbey