[TN-Bird] LATE Radnor Lake migrants (long)

  • From: fekel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 09:52:11 -0500 (CDT)

Radnor Lake State Natural Area
Davidson Co.
Nashville, TN
Wed. May 26, 2004
7-8:30am

After birding Shelby Bottoms yesterday with Phillip Casteel and finding
no late migrants, I decided to visit my usual haunt, Radnor Lake, and
went from the west parking lot to Long Bridge and back.

As I walked from Otter Creek Road to the dam, I found the female
hummingbird still on her nest.  I heard or saw the usual suspects
including EASTERN PHOEBE, GREAT CRESTED FLYCATCHER, singing ORCHARD ORIOLE
and INDIGO BUNTING (not yet fully decked out in his summer costume),
EASTERN KINGBIRD, EASTERN WOOD-PEWEE, and PROTHONOTARY WARBLER, but
there was NO SPOTTED SANDPIPER at the dam.  I told myself I'd be happy
with just one migrant.

I reached Long Bridge and sat down on the bench to listen for
CONNECTICUT and MOURNING WARBLERs.  Instead, after about 10 minutes I
heard a buzzy song and knew the birding gods had answered my prayer.
About 50 yards east of Long Bridge I tracked down a singing male
BLACK-THROATED BLUE WARBLER, proclaiming its available status.  This
species is a rare spring transient in the Nashville area, and this
particular bird was well past the late spring date given in the
"Birds of the Nashville Area (4th edition).  Apparently it had heeded
that 19th century adage, "Go west young man."  Attracted to its call, a
flycatcher flew in to the same tree.  I got a brief look at it before it
flew off and began doing its "tuwee" call.  A major bonus for my good
behavior was a YELLOW-BELLIED FLYCATCHER, a typical late migrant, but
also on the latish side.

Back at the dam area, I had a another bonus, a female AMERICAN REDSTART.
All in all, a great start to the morning.  Too bad I had to go to work
and spoil it!

--
Frank Fekel
Tennessee State University