[TN-Bird] proposed 10 year moratorium on hunting sandhill cranes

  • From: Rconnorsphoto@xxxxxxx
  • To: TN-Bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 11:21:39 EST

Concerning TN Wildlife Federation  and the proposed humming bird license
plate etc.:
.
Mr Butler supplied a list of good  projects in which TNWF is involved and it
would be nice to be able to give full  support to all they do. The issue that
is in the background, that clouds and  colors everything right now is the
crane hunting issue. This summer TNWF, and  Mike Butler in specific, went
before
the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency’s  Board of Commissioners and
convinced
them to go forward on hunting Sandhill  Cranes in Tennessee.
So far there has been no public  input on this process, and therefore the
public trust of TWRA slips down another  notch. Gov  Bredesen knows of and  has
expressed concern about lack of transparency with TWRA  decisions.
The problem is that a non-game,  watchable wildlife species, which many
enjoying just seeing and hearing the wild  music sound going overhead, is not
perceived of by the public as a game species.  Even if numbers continue to
grow,
this will take a long time. Tennessee  Ornithological Society has never opposed
the hunting of bona fide game species,  but no time in the near future will
the public see cranes as game, it will take  a while. Hunting Sandhill cranes
in
Tennessee is an idea that’s WAY ahead of it’s  time. Hunting cranes further
endangers the endangered Whooping Crane, only now  just getting a toe hold on
existence, back from the brink of extinction. And  TWRA already issues permits
to farmers to control crop destruction from cranes  (Sandhills), so far no
cranes have been shot under this  program
.
To recap: USFWS has proclaimed  Sandhill Cranes to be game species. TWRA has
to submit a plan for management to  the Mississippi and Atlantic Flyways
Councils before a hunt can be approved. We have been told that the  process
will
take years…but no time table has been given. We don’t know if  something is
going to be sprung on us at any moment, next year or whenever. And  this is
bound to be an expensive undertaking for TWRA , that money could be  better
spent
and would be more than revenue from permits anyway. They should  just leave
well enough alone for now.
.
We should be working together on  important things like fighting destructive
coal mining practices such as  mountain top-removal, listed as one of the
things TNWF is working on. When a  mountain top is scraped off Cerulean
Warblers
and fish in the streams below both  loose. And no-one that I know of wants to
take away the  rights of Tennesseans to hunt and fish, far from it. We in TOS
acknowledge that  game lands can and do support non-game. But the concept of
multiple use must be  acknowledge also. All species should be “managed” to
their benefit and to the  benefit of all Tennesseans on all Tennessee state
property, including  WMAs.
.
This is a time of change and its  hard to know who’s in charge at TWRA right
now. These are hard financial times  and Director Gary Myers is a short-timer,
retiring in a couple of months. Gary  Myers has been an exceptional, even
visionary wildlife manager and we can only  hope the TWRA Board can find
someone
with the same broad vision to replace him.  By the way there will also be a
turn-over of some of the TWRA Commissioners  later this spring. This board is
supposed to represent the TN public as well as  TN hunters and fishers, lets
hope the Governor chooses new members with a broad  view of TN wildlife. There
are some in TWRA who are in favor of a crane hunt and  I know that there are
others opposed to a hunt.
.
It would go a long way in settling  the issue if Mike Butler and TNWF would
acknowledge that it is premature to hunt  cranes in Tennessee any time soon,
and agree to a 10 year moratorium on any  crane hunt, with a one year public
comment period before any season is set. NO  scheduled hunt before 2020 with
2019
a year of public comment. This is a minimum  time frame with no assurance the
public would go along with it then. If he would  do every thing in his power
help convince the TWRA Commissioners, Director and  TWRA staff to postpone
action until then I’m sure they would go along with that.  Until that time
TWF
and TWRA will not get the full confidence and cooperation of  TOS and the
wildlife viewing public.
We need to be working together on  things of real importance, such as truly
endangered species and  habitats, and spend less time arguing about a species
that happens to be  doing well.
.
RICHARD CONNORS, President
Tennessee  Ornithological Society