[TN-Bird] Re: hummingbird tag flyer wording

  • From: Dev Joslin <devjoslin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rconnorsphoto@xxxxxxx>, Tennessee Bird listserve <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 10:24:49 -0600

I just want to appeal to both sides in this discussion.  As a former active
member of the Tennessee Ornithological Society and, as one who has interacted
with Mike Butler and others of the TN Wildlife Federation (when it was still
the TN Conservation League), I would encourage both sides to realize how much
they have to gain by cooperating and recognizing the needs of each
organization.  Hunters and fisherman are some of the most devoted and powerful
protectors of wildlife habitat (including bird habitat!) in the country.  We
birders need to ally ourselves with them whenever possible, in my opinion.

I know nothing about the details of the negotiations to hunt sandhill cranes.
But surely the two organizations have much more common ground than not.  We
birders have always managed to live with the hunting of ducks at reasonable
levels.  Hopefully there is some middle ground here!

Sincerely,
Dev Joslin
Monteverde, Costa Rica > From: Rconnorsphoto@xxxxxxx> Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008
13:43:41 -0500> Subject: [TN-Bird] Re: hummingbird tag flyer wording> To:
TN-Bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> > The exact wording on the front of the advertising
flyer, leading to the > confusion over use of funds from hummer tag.... "A
portion of the proceeds will > go to fund the Tennessee Wildlife Federation-
the oldest and largest > Tennessee non-profit dedicated to conserving our
wildlife and natural resources."> If it is correct that funds would go into the
organization also promoting > hunting sandhill cranes in TN, and not just to
their non-game programs, then > most TN-Bird readers would want to take that
into consideration before > supporting that group by purchase of specialty tag.
Simple matter of truth in > advertising, the complete picture, know exactly
what you are supporting. > I can send a pdf copy of flyer wording to anyone
interested.> > Richard Connors> **************Make your life easier with all
your friends, email, and > favorite sites in one place. Try it now. >
(http://www.aol.com/?optin=new-dp&icid=aolcom40vanity&ncid=emlcntaolcom00000010)>
requires you to SIGN YOUR MESSAGE with> first and last name, CITY (TOWN) and
state abbreviation.> You are also required to list the COUNTY in which the
birds> you report were seen. The actual DATE OF OBSERVATION should> appear in
the first paragraph.>
TN-Bird Net is owned by the Tennessee Ornithological Society > Neither the
society(TOS) nor its moderator(s)> endorse the views or opinions expressed> by
the members of this discussion group.> > Moderator: Wallace Coffey, Bristol,
TN> wallace@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> ------------------------------> Assistant
Moderator Andy Jones> Cleveland, OH> -------------------------------> Assistant
Moderator Dave Worley> Rosedale, VA>

                       MAP RESOURCES