[TN-Bird] possible Cackling Goose

  • From: Carole Gobert <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 18:42:52 -0500

While birding at Maloney Road Park in Knox County this afternoon, I observed a
very small (duck sized) Goose swimming south with a line of Canada Geese.  I am
confident that this was not just a runt but was either a Cackling or
Richardson's.  I saw it well through my scope but could not manage to get a
photo as it was just too far away for my pocket camera.  The bird was about a
third the size of the Canadas, had a small bill and short neck.  If not for its
plumage pattern I would have thought it was a duck.  I just wanted to alert
anyone birding that area to keep a look out for it.

Carole Gobert, Knoxville