[TN-Bird] Re: Long-tailed Duck in Alcoa & Horned Grebes in w. Knox

  • From: Sharon Monett <sbm4him@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 19:18:48 -0500

I was the one on the near bank taking photos of the duck. After already
getting what I thought were some okay shots, I decided to move to a spot
I'd seen the duck return to several times. After waiting a while, she began
swimming closer and closer with each pass, eventually swimming as close as
15-20 feet away from me.

I've only processed two so far, but will get some more uploaded tonight or
sometime this weekend. You can see them on my flickr page:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24369838@N07/.

The only other time I saw a long-tailed was at the Chickamauga Dam
recently, but I really didn't even KNOW I'd seen it til I got home and
started processing pictures, because it'd been so far away (I have a quite
decent wildlife lens and DSLR, but no binoculars or scope). So this was
kind of a lifer for me--at least it was the first time I could actually
TELL what I was seeing!

I also looked for the Pipits someone had mentioned, but didn't see any, but
it was nearly sunset by that time.  About 5:30, all the ducks took off in
one mass move, and I saw a hawk fly over the pond into some nearby trees. I
believe it was a red-shouldered but didn't get a great picture of it.  It
didn't seem to disturb the long-tailed in the least.

Sharon Monett
Knoxville, TN
sbm4him@xxxxxxxxx