[TN-Bird] odonates abound/Wildlife Celebration

  • From: Dnldhlt@xxxxxxx
  • To: butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 19:03:44 -0400

THU 20 MAY 2004
Austin 4-H Center, Greeneville, TN
D. Holt

I have been so busy trying to find time to watch birds, I just haven't been
paying enough attention to the bugs!  I took a look at our canoeing pond today
and was surprised by the odonate activity.  Here are the species I saw:

Lancet Clubtail
Prince Baskettail
Common Whitetail
Eastern Pondhawk
Blue Dasher
Eastern Amberwing
Spangled Skimmer
Calico Pennant
Black Saddlebags
Carolina Saddlebags
Ebony Jewelwing
Double-striped Bluet
Fragile Forktail

I hope to add a few to the list tomorrow.

I will be leading the Dragonfly walk during the TWRA Wildlife Celebration at
Johnny Lynch's Farmhouse Gallery near Unicoi, TN Saturday, 22 MAY 2004, at 1
pm.  This event would be a good way for the community of non-consumptive
wildlife enthusiasts to communicate their appreciation to TWRA for all the good
work they have done over the years that has benefitted those of us who may not
have paid a license fee or tax toward those good works.  Besides that, it will
be fun, come join us!

Don Holt
Johnson City, TN