[TN-Bird] nowa at randolph pond, white county

  • From: "Stephen J. Stedman" <sstedman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 04:51:40 -0500

Yesterday I visited Randolph Pond in White Co. in the
company of Doug Downs.  At the exact site where observers
viewed a putative Louisiana Waterthrush last Sat.
(Oct. 9), we saw two Northern Waterthrushes yesterday
(Oct. 15), and there was a third Northern Waterthrush
about 100 meters away from these two.  The Northern
Waterthrushes yesterday gave reasonably good looks.
We were able to see most of the standard field marks
that identify this species, including streaky throat,
slightly yellowish wash to the ventral surface (this
wash appeared to have several different colors, including
buffy, depending on the lighting in which the birds were
viewed), and yellowish supercilium (this feature appeared
somewhat exaggerated on these birds and the
supercilium on each of the birds could easily
have been considered to be sort of flaring behind the
eye, but to have three Louisiana Waterthrushes in
Tennessee in mid-October seems highly unlikely, so
we decided we would go with three Northern
Waterthrushes, by far the more likely migrants,
especially given that the habitat greatly favored the
birds' being Northern, not Louisiana).
Steve Stedman
Cookeville, TN