[TN-Bird] KY Lake area 10/15/04

  • From: <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 22:09:18 -0500

10/15/04
KY Lake area from Pace Point to Paris Landing
Henry/Benton Co.  (all sightings mentioned were in Henry Co.)

I had an unexpected day off, so Don Manning and I got out to see what this
cold front had brought us. Not much as it turned out, and the strong wind
made viewing generally difficult. We covered the usual haunts, hoping for
some arrivals from the north. We did get several 1st of season birds,
including: American Black Duck (1 at Britton Ford), Brown Creeper, Hermit
Thrush (2), White-throated Sparrow, White-crowned Sparrow, and Dark-eyed
Junco.

Ducks are still scarce, with the exception of Gadwall which we encountered
in numbers several times. Otherwise only a few Green-winged Teal, and single
American Wigeon, Northern Shoveler and Blue-winged Teal. Canada Goose
numbers are growing at Britton Ford, but no variety in the geese yet.

The lake is back up a little, but there is still extensive shorebird
habitat. Shorebirds were very scarce though, with not many Killdeer even
being seen. Otherwise, we had 1 juvenile Baird's, 1 Pectoral, and 2 Least
Sandpipers, and a single Black-bellied and 2 Semipalmated Plovers at the
Eagle Creek flats. Lick Creek (Benton Co.) produced a single Dunlin. These
were the only 7 species seen, with no Snipe found at their usual spots.

As far as gulls go, the island off of Paris Landing had the two adult and
one 1st-winter Lesser Black-backs, but nothing else besides Ring-billed and
Herring Gulls. A single Bonaparte's was seen in the gull flock on the Big
Sandy flats, from Manor Rd, but no Laughing or Franklin's Gulls today.
Forster's Terns are still present in numbers at Eagle Creek.

Warblers were represented only by Yellow-rumped, Pine, and TN. The Sparrow
highlight was great looks at several Lincoln's. Still good numbers of Indigo
Bunting's around. Another highlight was at least 50 American White Pelicans
dropping onto a distant point from Lick Creek.

Good birding!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN
Carroll Co.