[TN-Bird] herons

  • From: Ray Zimmerman <znaturalist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bird tennessee <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Bill Haley <wgh@xxxxxxxxxx>, Kyle Waggener <kwaggener@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ed Lindberg <rain18905@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 16:14:27 -0800 (PST)

Today (3/23) I stopped by Amnicola Marsh just off
amnicola highway here in Chattanooga. Although a
number of birds that I had observed there throughout
February and Early March were gone (including great
egret, hooded mergansers, northern shovelers, green
winged teal and cedar waxwings) there is some nice
bird action going on there. I saw two kingfishers
chattering and hovering. One was definitely a female
with a red band across the front and the other was too
far away to determine gender. Also, one red shouldered
hawk circling and another perched in a leafless tree.
I also saw:
Gadwall
Mallards
Canada Geese
Great Blue Heron
Brown Thrasher
Mockingbird
Robin
Towhee
Cardinal

The Great Blue Heron rookery near Chickamauga Dam has
six occupied nests and one that appears to be
unoccupied. I saw an adult bird fly in and join one
that was on the nest. The bird on the nest immediately
stood up and began rearranging nesting material and
possibly turning eggs. One adult bird was perched in
the trees near the nests.

Another Heron Rookery is located on Amnicola Highway
near the entrance to Chattanooga State Technical and
Community College. There are 23 nests and most appear
to be occupied. I witnessed several "changing of the
guard rituals."