[TN-Bird] correction of error in directions to mayland, cumberland county

  • From: "Stephen Stedman" <SStedman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 10:08:48 -0500

There was an error in the directions to Mayland, Cumberland County, in
the message about the Henslow's Sparrows from last Sunday morning; the
correct info is in RED CAPS below:

Joseph Mast and I walked many of the fields of the Campbell Farm near
Mayland in Cumberland County yesterday. I was able to stay only for the
morning part of the Henslow's survey there. We found 55 Henslow's (43
singers and 12 nonsingers, including 3 juveniles) in the morning. In the
afternoon Joseph continued the survey and found 17 more Henslow's (13
singers and 4 nonsingers), so the total for the day was 72 Henslow's (56
singers and 16 nonsingers, including at least 3 juveniles). We did not
get to all of the fields of this farm yesterday, so the Henslow's
population is probably somewhat larger than the total listed above. We
also counted 14 Grasshopper Sparrows yesterday in the same fields as the
Henslow's.
This farm is private and currently leased to a hunting club. Joseph has
permission to enter the farm to look for birds, and he is willing to
take anyone out to see Henslow's. Call him at 931-248-5500. He works
only a few minutes from the farm and can usually be free at lunch on
weekdays to lead visitors to the birds; he is free Saturdays but not
Sundays usually. If you want to have a look for these birds, call him
soon, as the birds may not be singing for more than a few more weeks.

Best access to Mayland is via Exit 311 on I-40. Get off at that exit and
go south 1.25 miles to Rt. 70; go left 1.7 miles to Bud Tanner Rd. on
RIGHT (passing Tanner Rd. also on the RIGHT before you get to Bud Tanner
Rd.). At this intersection is MasterBuilders, where Joseph works.

If you visit this site, be sure to stop for lunch at the Country
Cupboard store for a deli sandwich (choice of 40 cheeses and 20 meats);
also a nice butterfly garden next to store, which is located on Bud
Tanner Rd. about 0.5 miles from Rt. 70.

Steve Stedman, Cookeville, TN

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES