[tn-bird] Re: additional Bell's Vireo info

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 19:39:38 EDT

Aug. 28, 2002
Black Bayou
Lake Co. TN

I was at Black Bayou this morning by 7:30 and back in Memphis by 10:30. It
just happens that my nerve damaged hearing allows me to hear the Bell's Vireo
from a pretty good distance where I can't hear some warblers even if you were
to stick one in my ear. The Bell's started singing after I had been searching
for about 45 minutes. I finally located it working in the tree line about 150
yards north of the levee mentioned in Mike's post. The tree line is mainly
Oak not Autumn Olive, which had thrown me off in my search, since the few
Olive Trees that you can see did not jive with the directions.

We talked about this very place and the secessional habitat earlier this year
as being perfect for this species. I have been watching and listening at
similar habitat in a couple of places by no luck. These birds (I only saw and
heard one) could very well have bred here because no one ever gets very far
from the levees and the habitat is extensive. Next year!!

The bird was working in a very small area and finally perched up just long
enough for me to get some portrait shots at about 100 feet. Once it left this
perch it quit singing and I grinned all the way back to Memphis. I've seen
this species only 4 times in TN, once in May and 3 times in September and
this is the first time I have been able to photographed it in TN.

If interested I'll share the photos if you drop me a line. It is a feisty
little thing.

Thanks Mike for a great little bird............

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA
Bartlett Tenn.