[TN-Bird] Re: Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker

  • From: "Robert" <robert543@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ljfippin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 20:11:19 -0600

Linda,

We have four different woodpeckers coming to our yard to feed and bathe
in very citified east Memphis. We got lots of trees, two bird baths, suet in
a wire
apparatus and a metal cylinder of bread-crumbs, grapevines, and a compost
heap that birds like...

We have three Downy Woodpeckers, a male, a female, and a youngster
that feed on our suet. Two different Yellow-Bellied Sapsuckers clamp
sideways onto the rim of our bird bath, to drink. There are several
Red-Bellied
Woodpeckers who visit the cylinder regularly for bread crumbs. And then we
have two large Yellow-Shafted Northern Flickers who peck the ground under
my grapevines.

All this in the middle of a bustling citified city... murder capital of this
and that...

Robert Fowler
Shelby County

"Linda Fippin" <ljfippin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote :
> Yesterday I had a Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker in the Bradford
> pear near my patio.  Being a recent transplant from CA, I
> don't know if this is of any particular note, though a YBSA
> would certainly bring out the rarity-seekers among my CA
> birding friends!   This brings the number of species I've seen
> at my feeders or around my very suburban Knoxville apartment
> patio up to 15, which seems good for such a citified environment.

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES