[TN-Bird] Yard Concert

  • From: eyesew@xxxxxxxxx (Virginia Curtis)
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 08:28:43 -0500

While all the musical happenings are taking place near us in Nashville
and Manchester, we had our own yard concert last night.  The lead
singers were two Wood Thrushes, who obviously were trained by angels as
their song is the sweetest this side of Heaven.  They were joined by a
father Orchard Oriole who told everyone how proud he was of the little
daughter sitting three feet away from him and looking on with adoring
eyes.  Soon the Cardinals, Robins, Song Sparrows, Brown Thrashers,
Catbirds, Yellow-breasted Chat, Bobwhite and Mockingbirds added their
sweet notes and the dozens of Ruby-throated Hummingbirds at the feeders
contributed their rattling squeaks and wing buzz.  No human voice or
instrument is as beautiful  as the Creator's Chorus.

Alphie, our mature male Ruby-throated who arrived early in April and
considered our yard his personal domain, has finally conceded the yard
to the hordes, but tenaciously controls the one feeder by the kitchen
door.  We feel as sad for him as we do for humans who have never learned
to share their blessings with others.

Tommy & Virginia Curtis
Smithville, TN
DeKalb County