[TN-Bird] Tricolored Heron, Least Virginia Bittern Rail Nest

  • From: "David & Gloria Patterson" <dgpatterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "sefc" <SEFC-Birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 15:23:50 -0400

Standifer Gap Marsh, Chattanooga, Hamilton Co., TN
June 9, 2005
Tricolored Heron, 1, sharp adult breeding plumage, at the north end along the
fence between the water and  the railroad tracks.  Three ladies from Ft.
Oglethorpe found it and watched it for 30 minutes; 5 minutes after I came it
flew out of sight into woods near the beaver dam.

Green Heron juvenile, 1, dull plumage, streaked neck, down on top of head;
wading near north-east corner, flew weakly about 50 ft.

Willow Flycatcher, May 31 complete empty nest with adult near, June 3 one egg,
June 6 three eggs and adult on nest, June 9 one egg and no sign of adult.

Least Bittern, 13 nests with eggs or young, frequently calling and/or flying,
most on or near the cattail islands 300 ft south of the gravel road.

Virginia Rail, calling frequently, out of sight, probably with young.

Least Virginia Bittern Rail: June 7 I found a nest near the southwest corner of
the main water body.  The nest was fully exposed at the water side of a 2 ft
clump of rushes, easily visible to any boat within 50 feet, made of rushes,
about 6 inches above the water, with one white egg.  A Least Bittern flew up
from nearby as I approached. I didn't hear or see and Virginia Rails in the
area.

On June 9 a Least Bittern flew up as I approached.  The nest had 3 eggs, 1
white and the other 2 light tan with darker tan spots.

Least Bitterns make their nests of cattails, in cattails, 12 to 18 inches above
water level.  Their eggs are white.

Virginia Rails make their nests of rushes, in rushes, the bottom of the nest at
water level.  Their eggs are light tan with darker tan spots.  Some pictures I
took last year of Virginia Rail nests show one white egg with the rest tan
spots on tan.

I plan to continue observing. Unfortunately checking it takes a good hour of
hard wading!

David Patterson