[TN-Bird] Whooping Cranes

  • From: Howard Groce <billyh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tn-Bird <Tn-Bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 09:07:35 -0600

TN-Birders,
At 8:30am CST, my wife, my mother-in-law and I saw sixteen whooping cranes and
three large fixed-wing birds flying south over the Bloomington Community of
Pickett County.  MAGNIFICENT !!!!!!!!!!!!   I had been told that they probably
would go west of last year's track so I made a guess that they would come over
our church.  We also made a guess at what time they might leave Adair Co., KY
and when that would put them over here......We had been there about fifteen
minutes when I first heard the cover plane and noticed it was circling .......
My wife said, "There they are!"   What a sight !  There were twelve off the
left wing and four off the right of the lead plane.  The two chase planes were
slightly to the rear.   I had a difficult time explaining to my 82-year old
mother-in-law why three of the cranes were so much bigger than the others !

Last year we had given up and gone home when they flew over and we missed
them..........It was worth the wait !

Howard Groce
Byrdstown, TN