[tn-bird] Watering birds

  • From: "{USER_FIRSTNAME} {USER_LASTNAME}" <dmoon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-birds" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 11:40:06 -0400

We too have had good luck with using moving water to attract birds.  After
reading several post by Dev a few years back, we installed a water feature in
our yard.  It consists of a short, shallow creek and a small pond (220 gallons)
with a recirculating pump.  It is located 15 feet or less from the edge of a
70+ acre wood.  We planted some butterfly bushes and laurel to provide cover
over a couple of shallow pools and  we have been overjoyed with the results.

This weekend the creek has been visited by several post breeding
wanderers/migrants, black and white warbler, worm-eating warbler,
chestnut-sided warbler, and American redstart.  In addition we see most of the
yard regulars using the creek as well.  Yesterday around noon in a 20 minute
period we watched, indigo bunting, cardinal, towhee, scarlet tanager, blue jay,
titmouse, Carolina chickadee, house finch, and mourning dove as well as the
rare and elusive red-eyed vireo!

In the three years since we installed the creek we have been lucky enough to
see 64 species of birds use it.  Spring and fall migration are the most
interesting because of the variety of visitors, but winter and summer allow for
some great views of the locals!

Thanks again for the inspiration Dev.

Dan & Laurie Mooney
Knoxville TN